G1 has turned into Garfield the Cat. He loves his lasagne. G2 was a little slower to get on board, but he recently decided that he likes it, too. I figured it was time I stop being lazy and learn how to make it.
Cheese Sauce AKA Bechamel
- 40g butter
- 40g flour
- 400g milk
- 1 packet of Tatua cheese sauce or grated cheddar cheese and parmesan
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Melt butter and add flour.
- Stir until well mixed and add milk slowly. Keep stirring until smooth.
- Add cheese/cheese sauce, salt and pepper.
I got lazy and used Dolmio’s Bechamel sauce and found it back-fired on me because it made the lasagne too gloopy. Even though G1 had no issues with it, G2 refused to eat it. Note to self: don’t be lazy.
Update: if you’re still lazy and don’t want to make your own cheese sauce, Tatua Cheese Sauce is your “go to” alternative.
You can make your own sauce. I use this cheat recipe.
- Grated cheese – we use Pizza Plus from Perfect Italiano
- Bolognese sauce
- Bechamel sauce
- Pasta sheets – we use Barilla oven-ready pasta sheets (just means you don’t have to cook it before using it – it can go straight into the oven). We’ve also San Remo Instant Lasagna, but it takes longer to cook through.
- In an oven-proof dish, alternate layers of bolognese, bechamel, and pasta sheets. You can sprinkle a bit of grated cheese in between as well – if you want to, or not.
- Top it off with a layer of grated cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190C for about 45 minutes.