Here’s a quick and easy recipe that’s ready in less than 1 hour (baking included).
- 250g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup choc chips or chopped chocolate
- 100g cold butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped (instead of choc chips)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Combine dry ingredients and rub in butter until it resembles bead crumbs.
- Add choc chips.
- Mix wet ingredients in a bowl and pout into the flour and butter mixture.
- Stir with a spoon until it just comes together.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cups and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Because it’s me and I can’t help cutting corners…
- I didn’t have any buttermilk so I used regular milk instead.
- I absolutely detest the rub-in butter method, so I nuked the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds and chucked all the ingredients into a bowl and stirred it up until it looked evenly mixed.
- The final texture is scone-like.
- It’s not too sweet either which is a plus.
- The boys like it so it makes a really convenient snack for school and after school.