They say you should vary your workout routines because it helps:
- prevent boredom associated with doing the same things workout after workout
- to avoid or delay reaching a plateau in workout performance and, subsequently, training results
So we’ve added Yoga into our mix of regular weekly exercise sessions.
Yoga is good for the brain:
- Enhances working memory and inhibitory control. It also reduces stress and anxiety.
- Improves mental well-being
- Creates mental clarity and calmness
- Increases body awareness
- Relieves chronic stress patterns
- Relaxes the mind
- Centers attention
- Sharpens concentration
See also: Yoga offers the greatest brain benefits
According to the American Osteopathic Association, yoga also offers the following health and fitness benefits:
- Lessens chronic pain (see also: Ancient Practice Can Heal Brains Damaged By Chronic Pain)
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces insomnia
- Increased flexibility
- Increased muscle strength and tone
- Improved respiration, energy and vitality
- The maintenance of a balanced metabolism
- Weight reduction
- Cardio and circulatory health
- Improved athletic performance
- Protection from injury
See also: 27 Amazing Benefits of Yoga
How Yoga Compliments Your Workout Routine
If you’re wondering how yoga tracks on the Polar Beat – yes, I tracked it (my husband has created a Polar Beat monster) – this is the workout summary (I forgot to change the settings so it was still on Hiking):
While it is not as intense as hiking in terms of calories burnt, Yoga offers a workout that encourages the body to use its fat reserves for energy rather than carbohydrate metabolism because of its lower intensity. Additionally, although Yoga may not burn as many calories or get your heart rate as high, you should not make the mistake of thinking it is an easy workout because it is not. Yoga will challenge your body in ways you would never have imagined possible.
Last but not least, yoga is good for stretching out tight muscles after all those intense workouts during other days of the week.