My resident cakexpert was out of the count so I did a rush job and threw this birthday cake together 3 hours before we had to leave the house. The theme is “chocolate” because my birthday boy is a chocoholic. And his reaction to my cake was probably the best one ever:
“Mama, thank you for the best cake ever!”
- 200g castor sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 80g dark chocolate, melted
- 185g self-raising flour
- 90g plain flour
- 20g flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 eggs
- 180ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a round cake pan 23cm in diameter.
- Combine everything into a bowl and mix on medium until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes before removing from the cake pan.
- When the cake has cooled sufficiently, spread a quantity of Nutella over the cake.
- Decorate with Ferrero Rocher, Cadbury Freddo Frogs, Hershey Kisses, and M&Ms.