We’ve made strawberry cake before but I just had to find a way to make a “healthier” version so we came up with this one… Don’t worry, it tastes better than it sounds.
Containing flaxseed meal – touted as the new wonder food because of the numerous health benefits it offers – this is another cake that tastes good enough to pass as a “regular” cake. Sponge-like in texture, the cake lacks the prominent strawberry flavour of our previous strawberry cake. If you prefer, you can consider substituting half the sugar with the equivalent weight in strawberry jam to give it that extra burst of strawberry flavour.
As far as modified recipes go, I think this one’s a keeper…
- 125g butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 130g sugar
- 30g flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup strawberry puree
- 80g wholemeal flour
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- Prepare a baba cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix the flaxseed meal with the eggs and set aside.
- Place all other ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add in flaxseed-egg mixture.
- Beat on medium until well combined and smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until your knife comes out clean.
Nutritional benefits of strawberries:
- Strawberries are rich in the essential nutrients – vitamin C, potassium, folic acid and fiber.
- Strawberries also contain the antioxidants anthocyanins, ellagic acid, quercetin and kaempferol. These antioxidants have all been shown to have protective effects against certain types of cancer.
- Strawberries have also been shown to be beneficial against the following medical conditions: heart disease, stroke, cancer, blood pressure, constipation, allergies, asthma, diabetes, and depression.
- Strawberries are also recommended for pregnant women because of their high folic acid content which is important for preventing neural tube defects in the developing foetus.
Nutritional benefits of flaxseed:
Aside from your nutritional benefit of the strawberries and wholegrain flour, we have also added flaxseed meal which offers a number of health benefits. Although flaxseed contains numerous healthy components, there are three main constituents responsible for the bulk of its health benefits:
Flaxseed has been shown to be beneficial for:
- reducing the risk of heart disease
- protecting against cancer
- lowering cholesterol
- preventing hot flashes in menopausal women
- improving blood sugar (thereby reducing risk of developing diabetes)
- protection against radiation