G2 has been falling ill quite a bit lately that we have become concerned about his immune function. Although they have been relatively minor illnesses, the frequency with which he is falling ill has been a little disconcerting. We were also concerned that his past dengue episode has somehow taken a toll on his immune function.
According to Surviving Yucatan:
- A single dengue infection sets the patient up for future more intense dengue infections, with the symptoms getting worse with every subsequent infection, with the possibility of death increasing dramatically with every new infection.
- Each dengue infection confers a very brief immunity (3-4 months) to ONLY that strain of Dengue, but that single infection leaves the patient even more susceptible to more serious symptoms from the other 3 remaining Dengue strains (serotypes).
Unfortunately, they don’t say much about what that might translate to in terms of exposure to other infections. Regardless, whatever it means, we’ve decided to bolster his immune system. I’ve adopted a mix of Eastern and Western medicinal remedies.
Chinese Herbal Soup to Boost Immunity
This is a soup packed by Koay Chee Cheong. I can’t read the writing so I have no idea what it’s called or what the ingredients contained within it are. I only know that it’s for “energy and boosting the body’s immunity” so we’re going to give it a go. Here’s a picture for those who can read Chinese:
And this is what it contains if you didn’t get any of that…
I don’t really know how to recognise the herbs very well, but these are the ones I do know: goji berries and dried longans. They also have what I think looks like Chuan Xiong, Lily Bulb, and Chinese Yam. There are a few more other herbs, unfortunately, I haven’t a clue what they are. If you recognise them, please leave me a comment.
- 2L of water
- 500g meat (my MIL suggests using “old” chicken)
- salt to taste
- soup herbs
- rinse the herbs, soak them and then drain the water
- place water, meat, and herbs in a crock pot (slow cooker) in the morning to cook until dinner
More Chinese Herbal Soups:
- Lok Mei Cheng Poh Leong – said to be good for strengthening the immune system
- Ning Shen – contains ingredients that stimulate the immune system
- Sa Shen Jun Fei – contains ingredients that stimulate the immune system
- How to Boost Your Immune System – Harvard Health Publications
- Fruit and Veggie Smoothies for Immune Function
- Boosting the Immune Function of a Picky Eater