This is a soup that my MIL makes so I figured it would be a safe one to make for the boys. Lo and behold, my biggest boy revealed that this has been one of his non-favourites for a long time so even though I have approval from two out of three boys, this one’s got to go on the “infrequent” list. Personally, though, I quite like it.
- 2L of water
- Sa Shen Jun Fei ingredients (see below)
- 500g chicken or other meat
- salt to taste
Sa Shen Jun Fei Ingredients:
- Panax Ginseng
- According to WebMD, it is possibly effective for thinking and memory, diabetes, male impotence, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Bulbus Liui
- According to TCMWiki, it nourishes and clears heat from the lungs and heart, relieves cough and dispels phlegm, calms the heart and induces sleep.
- Prunus Armeniaca (Armenian Plum)
- Dioscorea Batatas Decne
- used in TCM as a tonic for the spleen, stomach, lungs, kidneys – weak digestion with fatigue and diarrhea, general weakness, frequent urination, decreased appetite, leukorrhagia (excessive vaginal discharge), premature ejaculation, the symptoms associated with diabetes, and chronic wheezing (whistling sound caused by breathing difficulty) and coughing.
- Codonosis Tang Shen
- used in TCM as a tonic for treating low energy, poor appetite and digestion, anaemia, shallow breathing and debility after illness
- Ziziphin Jujuba
- According to wikipedia it is used in TCM because it alleviates stress and is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-ulcer, anti-inflammatory, cardiotonic, antioxidant, immunostimulant, and wound healing properties.
- Clinical trials have found it to be useful for chronic constipation and neonatal jaundice
- Research also indicates nootropic (brain enhancer for memory, cognitive, intelligence) and neuroprotective properties
- Boil water
- Add in Shen Xu Tun Tang ingredients and bring to the boil
- Add in meat and simmer until tender
- Add salt to taste